Great Moments from Michigan House Meetings
Compiled by Amber Sturtz, Marian Matyn and Michael Burton.
March 4, 1941. Table manners were discussed and much constructive
criticism was given. A committee for better table manners was formed
consisting of Morris Schoenberg and Johnson.
- 1942. Motioned: Anyone who has not made their bed by 1pm will be fined
one work credit. Passed.
- March 20, 1951. ICC has suggested an increase in charges. Roomers
will pay 10 cents more a week and boarders will pay 5 cents more a week.
- February 25, 1963. Motioned: No one is to blow his nose in the sink.
- February 21, 1967. Steve Sadow complained about the house being noisy
at night. Motion: The House buy Steve a set of ear plugs. Passed.
- August 30, 1967. Work Holiday Philosophy: Bust Ass and get house in
- Nov. 25, 1968. A recommendation was made that Mich. House go co-ed. A
motion was passed allowing Linda Olum to room here during the Winter semester
of 1969. Passed.
- September 21, 1975.
Fire Procedure: It was motioned that we not have any fire. The motion was
seconded and passed unanimously. If there is a fire, sound the alarm and call
the fire department! Then, heroically grab a fire extinguisher and focus its
frothing fusillade at the floor of the fire, hopefully snuffing in the bud! If
you are in your room and smell smoke, don't necessarily think it's a lucky
friend. Feel your door. If it's hot, you have a fire outside! Don't welcome
it into your room. Keep the door closed and make a loud fuss.
- September 21, 1984. Michigan House votes to add beer to the pop
machine. Beer will cost 35 cents a bottle. This vote renewed Michigan House's
commitment to beer. Why Michigan House stopped selling Beer is unknown but
this vote rectified the situation.
- October 1, 1987. Mich. House votes to subscribe to the New Republic,
Nature and Mad Magazine. Mad Magazine carries the most votes.
- April 14, 1997. The night Mike Malone defeated the cow. The
challenge: one gallon whole milk, one hour, one drinker, and no food or
trips to the bathroom.